Monday, January 14, 2002

Hi. I'm Aidan. This is my first blog entry. I now weigh 5 pounds, 5 ounces. I've been gaining weight lately. I'm doing it all naturally -- just with breast milk -- no additives or other supplements are required to help bulk me up. I'm still trying to get the hang of eating. Today, I managed to take in 2 ccs of breast milk through nursing. Since I'm supposed to have 40ccs per sitting, I still only get a small amount of my food intake this way. On the other hand, I've got the use of a bottle down cold. Last night I took 50ccs -- my full meal -- through a Haberman bottle , which is a special kind of bottle that makes me have to work harder to get food out -- just like nursing.

Sometimes I eat too fast and have bradycardias. Happily, I'm almost always able to snap out of these all by myself. Otherwise, I'm doing just fine. The nurses and doctors say that I'm progressing well for my age, but that I should expect to spend a bit more time in the intermediate intensive care nursery before I go home.

No comments: