Saturday, June 14, 2003

Stonehenge

Today my Daddy was in charge of taking care of me, so that Mommy could have a much needed day off. While it was always the case that when Daddy is in charge, we end up spending most of the day outside, now we end up doing a lot of walking. This is fine with me because I'm happy for the independence of walking as opposed to being pushed around in a stroller. In the morning, we went to a park across the street. Daddy carried me across the street, but after that I was on my own to follow him around the park. We walked for a fair distance until we came to an open, grassy ares with benches. There are lots of interesting things in this area. The benches are interesting, and I made a thorough investigation of these. The benches consist of slats of wood held together with nails. I was especially intrigued by the nails and asked over and over what they were. The other interesting feature of the benches are the gaps between the slats. I asked about these and Daddy told me they were "gaps." After a couple of tries, I found that I could say this word too. I pointed to the empty space between the slats and said "aps!". Daddy seemed quite delighted at this new word.

Near the benches are rocks used for drainage. These are some great rocks---all rounded and just the right size for picking up. I would pick up a rock and haul it over to the bench on which Daddy was sitting and then place it beside him. I did this for about four rocks. Then I came over to play with Daddy and the rocks. I discovered that rocks are kind of like blocks, you can stack them one on the other and make rock towers. We built several different types of towers together. First the usual ones and then one where Daddy placed two rounded rocks next to one another and then had me place a flat rock as a kind of "ceiling" on top of the two rounded ones. Daddy said we were building something called "Stonehenge" which is a place in Britain. I liked building and rebuilding Stonehenge.

No comments: