Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Are you ready for some football?

I love to play football with my Daddy. Today, I was in the mood to play this afternoon, so I picked up my football and searched for him. He was nowhere to be found. Evenutally, I decided that he must be hiding in the garage, so I pounded on the door to get him to come out---but to no avail. Mommy said that he was at work and that I would have to wait until he came home to play. I looked forward to that time. When he did finally come home, I immediately presented him with the football and demanded to play. While Daddy and I have played football for many months, the game has changed somewhat as I've gotten bigger. In its latest incarnation, I play the role of runner or receiver and Daddy is the quarterback. He'll drop back to pass, evading some imaginary tacklers, and then find me open for a pass. I'm not very good at catching just yet, so I'm allowed to pick the ball off the ground and count that as a catch. I then run around the room for a touchdown. Sometimes Daddy does a little commentary as he goes back to pass. Apparently, the local team here is the Oakland Raiders, who were one of the best teams when Daddy was growing up. Daddy refers to himself as "Stabler" going back to pass to me, who he often refers to as "Casper". Daddy tells me that Stabler and Casper were both fine players for the Raiders in the 1970s. Mommy says that Daddy's commentary is a bit confusing as I'm not used to being referred to by the names of players of yesteryear for the Raiders. Still, football is a great sport.

By the way, the most thrilling part of the whole thing is when Daddy shouts, "It's a fumble!" and we both roll around on the ground in a scrum for the ball. That is absolutely the best!

No comments: