Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Good Morning

Many things in my life are ritualized (I like consistency) and getting up in the morning is no exception. This morning Daddy got me up in his usual way. I'm pretty much awake by the time I officially "get up" so I get to pay careful attention to what's going on. First, Daddy lifts the shade to reveal the sunlight pouring through the window. This is another exciting instance of a light, so I point and say "ight" at the window. Next, he sings the parts of the good morning song that he knows. He sings it like this:

Good morning, good morning! We danced the whole night through
Good morning, good morning to you
Good morning, good morning! It's great to stay up late
Good morning, good morning to you!
Bonjour, buenos dias, buongiorno, guten morgen
Good morning, good morning to you!

(Of course, like most of my Daddy's attempts at song lyrics, his version is both incomplete and wrong. Here are the correct lyrics.)

Now it's time to get out of my crib. I like the freedom of getting out, but I'm reluctant to part with all the nifty objects that are in there with me. Daddy hoists me over the side and I instantly reach to get my stuff. One blanket pulled through the bars of the crib. Then another. And another. Now I'll get the ears of Pat the Bunny and pull him through (he's kind of big on the bottom so it's not so easy.) Now I'm happy. I'm free to run around and I have all my stuff.

Good morning to me.

No comments: