Monday, January 27, 2003

Socializing

I had a very busy weekend of socializing. On Saturday night, I got to attend my first Rabbie Burns night, a celebration in honor of the birthday of the great Scottish poet Robert Burns. From the look of it though, I think it's more an occasion for the adults to drink Scotch to excess. In any event, I was introduced to everyone, and there was a large contingent of guests at the party from the British Isles. Whereas normally my name is considered unusual and causes some people trouble in pronouncing, in this crowd I fit right in. No one even bothered to comment on the uniqueness of my name. In fact, there was an adult there who had the same name as me and congratulated my parents for spelling it correctly-- "Aidan." It seems he recently saw it spelled "Ayden" and was quite dismayed.

I'm still at home in social situations, but perhaps a bit more tentative than I was. Lots of people wanted to hold me and sometimes that was all right. But other times I preferred to be held by my Mommy and Daddy. Two of my best friends at the party were girls who live next door, Georgina and Madeleine Partridge. They are 9 and 7 years old and absolutely loved to hang out with me. They would run off and find more and more toys for me to play with. Naturally, I loved the attention and all the toys.

The following day, we all went to a Super Bowl party. This was my second time watching the Super Bowl, but my first Super Bowl party. Last year, they let me out of the hospital just in time to watch the Super Bowl with my Daddy in my sports-themed footies. This year, I wore jeans and my football sweater and sampled some quesadillas. (After mushing them up well in my mouth, I sucked off the cheese and then disgarded the remaining pieces of tortilla on my sweater. Too bad there isn't a more efficient delivery system for melted cheese!) My Daddy tells me that I experienced a very authentic Super Bowl this year. True to form, the game was a lot more boring than the ads. I did enjoy the halftime show though. I danced to Shania Twain and No Doubt. Why doesn't Mommy wear outfits like Shania's or Gwen Stefani's? Daddy suggested that she should, but it didn't really seem like she was going to take him up on that.

No comments: