Monday, November 04, 2002

Mount Diablo Yesterday but no Santa Cruz Today


Mount Diablo


Daddy, Mommy and I drive to Mount Diablo State Park on Sunday. It is not that far from my house, and we hoped to see tarantulas crossing the road since an article in the Contra Costa Times claimed that it is tarantula mating season. It seems that male tarantulas live alone in their burrows for 6-10 years and then set out wandering looking for a partner to mate with. If a the tarantula meets a female and survives the mating process (females are rather aggressive), the male just keeps wandering until he eventually is eaten by a predator, squished by a car, or dies of exposure. This is rather sad. The article also said that tarantulas are actually very delicate creatures (they can die as the result of a fall from 2 or 3 feet) and their bite is only as severe as a bee sting. All of this information made us long to see the hairy critters, but none could be found. A park employee said that the article was actually off by a month as to when tarantula mating season is. Oh well..


We did, however, get to see some great views from atop Mount Diablo (about 3850 feet high). We also got to experience some queasiness from the very twisty, steep roads. Even so, our stomachs settled and we later went to Chevy's (Fresh Mex) for dinner. Mommy and Daddy got to enjoy a relaxing meal as I took a nice, long nap.


To Santa Cruz or No?


Mommy and I were going to go to Santa Cruz today to visit her friend, Cheryl, and the baby living inside her tummy (due on November 10), but when Mommy called this morning, Cheryl said that her baby was showing signs that it might make it's appearance sooner rather than later. So we stayed home and Mommy talked with Cheryl about signs of labor and kept her occupied for a while so she didn't have to just pace around the apartment and wonder when things would pick up. The hospital told her that with her current symptoms, the baby could either come today or in several days, so we'll have to see when Baby Clara decides to be born!


Mommy and I just went to the market today and then came home to play. I especially enjoy carrying toys around with me while I crawl these days. Mommy and Daddy often find blocks and the rings from my stacker toy in various places around the house like a trail of breadcrumbs! I am also extremely surefooted and speedy when cruising around the furniture and the windowsills.


I had some baby applesauce today and ate more than the usual taste I usually do. This made Mommy very happy since I have been turning my nose up at just about all solid food again. However, shortly after eating the applesauce, I had a rather painful and puffy-looking rash appear on my behind (definitely not there before breakfast). This makes Mommy wonder if I am allergic to apples in greater-than-a-taste-size quantities or whether apples just lead to more irritating "output" than some other foods. An allergic reaction would be unusual since apples are not usually allergenic, but Mommy is going to lay off the apples for a few days and see whether the rash goes away.


In health news, I no longer have my coughing fits, just an occasional cough and a runny nose. My nasal output is now clear rather than the green shade that led mommy to take me to the doctor, so I'm gradually improving.

No comments: