Monday, March 18, 2002

Chain Reaction

I got to go on my first big trip this weekend. My Mommy and Daddy took me to Lake Tahoe to see my cousins, Meryl, Libby, and Matthew, and my Uncle Ted and Aunt Holly. Now, they don't normally live in Lake Tahoe, but Uncle Ted was attending a medical conference there to "learn" about new techniques (and the company that makes them). There were a lot of firsts on this trip -- it was my first time out of Palo Alto, my first time out of the state (we stayed in Incline Village, Nevada), and my first time seeing snow. Snow is pretty. It's also quite cold. I opened my mouth as it was snow flurrying and ate some of the snowflakes to see what that would be like. It was really cold -- I like milk much better. It was also my first time meeting my cousins. They seened to like me a lot -- they picked me up and liked to peek into my stroller to look at me while we were all eating together.

The trip for my parents was not quite so good. My Daddy's wallet was lost/stolen on Saturday, probably while my parents were having fun taking turns sliding down a big hill on a snow saucer, so he's currently driver's license-less. In addition, the trip home was not too much fun. To get to Lake Tahoe, you have to drive over Donner Pass, which is a 7700 foot ridgeline. The weather there can be nasty, and it was on the trip back. While the trip to Tahoe took us about 4.5 hours, the trip back took 8.5 hours! A lot of this time was spent stopped when they closed down I-80 due to blizzard conditions. When they reopened it, they made us put chains on our car and drive down at 15mph. It took forever and was pretty scary at times.

Happily, we all got home safely.

No comments: