Friday, February 01, 2002

Homecoming

Yesterday was the second biggest day of my life (behind the day I was born). I got to finally go home from the hospital yesterday! In honor of my homecoming, my Mommy and Daddy dressed me up to the nines in a "baa baa little sheep outfit." This outfit features delightfully many layers – undershirt, pullover, smoking jacket, shoes, socks, and two hats. It took about a half hour to get all these things on me. I like to help to get dressed myself by flailing my arms and legs as much as possible during the dressing process. This really seems to speed things along!

Once I was all dressed, I got to make a final tour of my world in the IICN. I said goodbye to everyone and thanked them for helping me to get big and strong. Then, I was strapped into a five point harness child carrier thingy to go home. Sometimes my parents are amazingly dumb. The harness system has two shoulder straps held together with a sternum clip. These straps then clip down to a central seat belt like thingy between my legs. At first, they tried to squeeze my head between the sternum thingy. I hated this idea. Happily, another mother, who actually understood these devices suggested that they undo the two shoulder straps, so I could much more easily fit inside.
I then got to go on my first car ride. I really liked it though I was unconscious for much of the trip. I got to experience the best of American consumer culture on my first outing. We went to Blockbuster™ to pick up movies, then we went to Carl’s Jr.™ for some tasty burgers. Finally, we topped the evening off with a trip to Albertson’s™ for some champagne to celebrate my homecoming. After all this breast milk, it sure was nice to tip back a glass of Asti!

After this, I got down to the business of living. I eat about once every four hours – 8:30, 12:30, 4:30, and so on. My Daddy drew the short straw and was on the 4:30AM shift. I decided to get him going a little early, at 3:50AM, since I was feeling really hungry. I sucked down my standard feeding in a short time, but was not nearly ready for bed. After fussing around and eventually requiring my Mommy to come to the rescue, I managed to down close to another full meal by 5AM. After so much food, I was pretty much sated, so I went to bed.

Well, that’s about it so far. It’s neat to be home!

No comments: