Friday, September 14, 2007

World Series of Poker

As you know, poker is one of my favorite games. This is especially true this time of year when ESPN is running episodes of the main event of the World Series of Poker. I really like watching all the players decide what to do and have my own views about which hands I'd like to hold.

Anyway, I've been pressing Daddy for quite a while to increase the number of cards we use in playing poker. Initially, we played one card poker, which was quite fun. (And, on one memorable evening, I managed to wipe out Nainnie in a one card poker tournament through a combination of pretty good bluffing and an Ace at the right moment.) We advanced to two card poker and eventually three card.

I felt ready for the real deal---major league poker---Texas Hold 'Em. In this game, each player is dealt two cards face down (the hole cards). Next, three cards (the flop) are turned face up in the middle. These are shared by both players. Next a fourth card is turned face up (the turn), and finally a fifth card (the river). Best five card hand wins. Now, the trickey part for me is remembering all the possible hands. There are a lot of them: quads, full house, flush, straight, trips, two pairs, a pair, and a high card. Daddy thoughtfully laid out all the possibilities in order for me to consult. I'm getting pretty good at figuring things out though. I managed to win with a full house recently. I've also had a couple of straights, and a flush or two. The best is when I have a pair of aces in the hole. This hand has a special name, pocket rockets, since the letter "A" is shaped sort of like a rocket ship. I've never lost with these.

Usually, I'll have a couple of helpers like Thomas trains or stuffed animals to help me decide what to do. The only bad thing about poker is that I'm sad when things don't work out on a hand with a big pot. I really want to win these. Still, I love playing poker.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,
Some day I'll teach you how to play Rummy 55 at penny a point difference!
Love, Nainnie

Anonymous said...

That should read Rummy 500!

ATM said...

I don't know how to play rummy.