Monday, September 24, 2007

Catch

I'm getting very good at catching and throwing a football. While I really like to tackle and block, Daddy has insisted that I learn some other skills as well. We've been playing catch with my Steelers football. Initially, Daddy would throw some underhand spirals to me, and I would have to catch five in a row. I would toss the ball back to him as well. Over the weekend, he decided I was ready for the overhand spiral toss. Initially, I thought the ball was way to fact to even see, let alone catch.
My eyes are falling out of my head, the ball is so fast.

I said. But I soon adapted. Today was a new record---seven catches in a row. My throwing is also very strong too. I figure if Daddy can throw overhand spirals, so can I. So I zing the ball as fast as I can at him. He mostly catches it, which is pretty amazing.

While throwing and catching is fun, the best part of football is the "sack the quarterback" game. We set up pillows at each end of the room, representing the opposing quarterback. Then, we take turns being the blocker and the pass rusher. I like to be the rusher. Despite Daddy teaching me some techniques like the swim move, my preferred approach is to bull right into him, and try to push him out of the way. I'm getting good at getting leverage from below and keeping my feet moving. If he's not really ready, I can push him back a bunch of steps and slip through to get the quarterback.

Right now, my best athletic talents are: (1) My speed (I'm very fast); (2) My strength (I'm quite strong); and (3) My hitting ability (not so useful in football, but very useful in baseball).

By the way, for those worried about my past football injury two years ago---I've forgotten all about it. I'm as aggressive as ever.

No comments: