Monday, June 26, 2006

Carey's Patch Moves


Yesterday, I played Chess with Daddy. After a slow start, we decided to (sort of) play by the acutal rules. The main exception is that no knights are allowed on the board since I don't like to see any of the horsies get hurt. Anyway, Daddy taught me what he called a "Carey's Patch Move"---the X-ray. Daddy said that my great-grandfather taught him lots of these moves and that they're all very tricky (I like it when I can do tricky things), so naturally I was eager to learn about the X-ray.

While we were playing, Daddy put my queen in the dreaded X-ray. She was stationed in front of my King to protect him when a nasty Rook came down to the same rank as my Queen and King. Daddy happily announced that the Queen was the victim of the dreaded X-ray. The rook "X-rays" the queen and sees through to threaten the King. The poor, helpless quenn can do little else than capture the rook. Unfortunately, Daddy has another rook guarding the first one, so he then took the queen.

After this, Daddy cleared the board of pieces and gave me two rooks while he had a king and queen, so I could do some x-raying as well. I did pretty well in finding the X-ray move. Sometimes I would lose my rook to the queen, but often I would figure out a way to trade my rook for Daddy's queen. After my elation at the X-ray, Daddy promised a new trick for next time---the dreaded "fork." While I know what a regular fork is, it will be interesting to see what the Chess version of a fork turns out to be.

[Daddy Addendum: In looking up X-ray in wikipedia , it turns out that what I was taught as the "X-ray" is actually known as the skewer. The actual X-ray is a bit more complex than the skewer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're like your Daddy, or your great-grandfather Williams, sooner or later, you'll be quite a good chess player.

Love,