Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Doing the Wave


I know when I want to go outside, but it takes some doing to convince Mommy that we should go when I want to. The other day, I put on a hat, walked over to the back door, looked directly at Mommy and started waving bye-bye. She understood and told me that I was very clever, but she did not immediately fling open the door for me. She seems to operate on something other than toddler time. Why can't adults live only in the now like me?

I find that the bye-bye wave is adaptable to many situations. When I don't want to eat something, I drop it on the floor and wave bye-bye to it. When I want Mommy to get up and go to the kitchen to get me some milk, I say "MMM" and then wave bye-bye at her to hasten her departure. Of course, waving is effective in the traditional taking leave of friends or toys usage too. Then there is the always exciting wave hello-- and the even friendlier double wave hello-- and the more emphatic double wave accompanied by a string of enthusiastic "Hi!" greetings. Waving is good stuff.

No comments: