Monday, October 27, 2003

Katie

Just about every weekend, a woman named Katie comes over to visit, typically just before I go to bed. I like to play lots of different games with her--ball tossing, bead maze, and so on. Last night, we played an unusual game. I handed Katie my sand pail and a pair of shovels. She scooped from pretend sand into the pail and pressed the pail into the carpet to make a pretend sand castle. As there was obviously no real sand castle there, I was puzzled by her behavior. Then I realized what was really going on. In pressing the pail into the carpet, Katie had made one of my favorite letters, "O". The "O" seemed to come from the shape of the perimeter of the pail. I asked her to make lots and lots of O's. At one point, I was surrounded by O's. This was great---much better than the crazy pretend sand castle idea.

Mommy and Daddy tried to teach me Katie's name. They would patiently say Kay-Tee for me. I would listen carefully and then reply with a colorful nickname, "Hosel!". Again, they would try and again I would say, "Hosel!" Eventually, Daddy got me to say "Tee" in response to her name. This also fits with her nickname since a tee is another fun piece of golf equipment.

Daddy and Mommy apparently went out on a date after I was asleep, so I was being watched solely by my friend Katie/Hosel. Before I went to bed, Daddy told me to dream about golf. He didn't have to remind my since I do that anyway. Seems like whenever I wake up from naps or in the morning the first word out of my mouth is "ball" followed by "golf" shortly thereafter.

No comments: