Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Bye Bye Bottle and Hello Words!

I have switched to a sippy instead of a bottle before bed with no fuss, so, "Bye Bye, Bottles!"

I am also picking up more and more words. New today were "orange juice" and "love you." "All done" is another very useful phrase I like to use. "Yes" and "No" are in heavy usage now. I can also say, "I-did-it" and "I-want-those," but haven't put these phrases into heavy rotation yet. I like to say them really fast as one word. I also can say, "please" when prompted, and tell Mommy that I want a "waffle." In addition, I can also say "golf" and name an obscure part of a golf club, called a hosel, thanks to Daddy.

Two of my favorite names are "Elmo" and "Ernie." I often wake up in my crib exclaiming, "Elmo!" or "Ernie!" to tell my lazy parents to wake up so I can watch Sesame Street. (Elmo used to be called "Melmo" (see earlier post) but has informed me that he has dropped the "M" from the beginning of his name.) I also enjoy calling Grammy and Nainnie. I started saying both of their names last month when I visited them, and they seem delighted when I call them by name on the phone. (I can also say my cousin Emma's name and the names of several friends, but we aren't old enough to have many solo phone privileges.)

I am especially fond of my Tickle Me Elmo these days. (Grammy helped him find his way here several months ago.) I feel that I must always be vigilant as to Elmo's whereabouts since it is a hard, cold world and I must protect him. Mommy and Daddy always help me to locate him. Yesterday, Elmo accompanied me to the park and swung on a swing alongside me and went down two sliding boards. I also took him on a walk in my Elmo-sized (and doll-sized) stroller. My Elmo-sized stroller and at least one friend come along in the car almost every time we go out.

Today was a bit of a difficult day for me. I went to Music Together (Fun!), but at the end of class I got my finger pinched VERY HARD in an accordian-style baby gate at the entrance to the music room. It hurt LOTS! Mommy says that it also looked very, very sore. Luckily, Mommy had an ice pack in her bag, and she held it on my finger until I started to feel a little better. My finger was a little swollen tonight, but I am making a good recovery.

Then, tonight, Mommy and I were on our front lawn on the way into the house in the half-darkness when a light-colored dog appeared with her owner (off her leash). I was very excited to see her, but she was a bit too excited to see me and knocked me over. Then she picked up my Elmo by the tummy and shook him. Then she knocked me down again and got stuck in the straps of Mommy's backpack (on the ground) before her owner finally got control of her. I was SCARED! I love to see doggies, but I'm not used to full body contact. (The dog was a partially-grown puppy of what looked like a retriever breed.) Mommy explained that the doggie was too excited about wanting to play with me and the dog's owner apologized profusely. I said "Woof" and waved goodbye to the doggie through my tears as we went into the house. I am resilient though and I cheered up quickly once inside and had a nice evening.

By the way, Mommy found me next to Licorice's cage today with a big Tupperware container of guinea pig food that I had taken out of the cabinet where it is kept and hauled over to Licorice. I thought that Licorice looked hungry and wanted to feed her! I am the kind of guy who likes to take initiative!

No comments: