Monday, August 25, 2003

What to eat?

It's still difficult for me to convey exactly what I want to eat. Often, I know I'm hungry and have something specific in mind, but somehow Mommy and Daddy cannot deduce what it is from the tone of my "Uh, uh, uh" pleas. What I am good at is telling them what I don't want to eat. Sometimes, when I'm ready for a snack, Daddy will go to the cupboard filled with most of my favorites and pull out boxes one at a time. After he pulls a box out, I look at it and if it's not what I'm after, I shake my head vigorously--no. Next box, another head shake. Next box, another head shake. And on and on. Eventually, my eyes light up and I reach out when he finally picks out something good to eat.

Of course, sometimes I make mistakes and shake my head no when I actually mean yes. This is frustrating for both of us.

This form of communication is effective, but frustratingly slow. If only Mommy and Daddy were better mind readers.

No comments: