Saturday, August 23, 2003

The Beach

I spent a lot of time at the beach when I was in Maui. Since I like to stick with a consistent time zone, I would get up around 5am (8am California time) and Daddy would often take me out for an early morning walk. We would end up on the beach. I'm never sure whether to trust walking on sand or not. It seems hard to get firm footing and my toes seem to disappear beneath the sandy surface. Nearer the ocean, the footing is better, but there are new hazards to be aware of, like the water from the ocean. My preferred method was to get down to the better-footing part of the sand and then watch closely for the incoming water. Whenever a wave would roll in, I would hasten back away from the water and cry, "Uh oh!" to warn others about the water. By the end of the trip, even this had changed. I decided that the ocean water on my feet felt pretty good, and I would like to wade in a bit.

The other great thing about the beach is the variety of interesting objects the one finds in the sand. I found many interesting kinds of sticks as well as a type of rock called coral. I liked to carry the coral rocks around with me as I walked along the beach. The hotel also thoughtfully put out lounge chairs on the beach. Sometimes when I felt like climibing or just taking a rest, I would vault up onto these and watch the water on the ocean.

No comments: