Thursday, August 28, 2003

The Name Game

Yesterday, a baby girl named Kaia came to visit Mommy and me for the second time. There are a couple of reasons why this is notable: First, I actually called her by name, "Kaia, " several times. Mommy says this marks the first time I've referred to anyone by name other than Mommy ("Ahbba" or more rarely, "Mommy") and Daddy ("Addy"). This also includes my own official name since on those occasions when I refer to myself I call myself "Ahbba"-- which translates to "baby." (Yes, this is indeed the same thing I usually call Mommy. I got tired of calling her Mama a while back.) The other reason Kaia's visit is notable is that she has a bad habit of wanting to play with my toys and my mommy when she comes to visit me. What she doesn't seem to understand is that my toys and mommy are mine--not to be played with or even touched by others. What she also doesn't seem to realize is that any toys that she brings into the house are also mine. Indeed, we would all be a lot happier if others would keep in mind one simple rule: All objects in the world are mine and I should be able to have them whenever I want them. This is certainly my attitude when Mommy and I go shopping. For instance, yesterday we went to the grocery store together. It was so frustrating that Mommy would keep forgetting the simple rule: All objects are mine. She kept forgetting and taking stuff away from me. And for some reason she wouldn't let me "off" the shopping cart so that I could play with all of the wine bottles on display near floor level in the grocery store. They looked as though they would have made a cool noise when rolled or hit on the floor. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for more opportunities.

(An aside-- the wine in the grocery store must be a pretty alien concept to all of my PA relatives who have to visit the "state store" and the "beer store"!

No comments: