Monday, August 25, 2003

Some Bad Things about the Beach

Mostly, I was quite happy to be outside in the bright sunshine of Maui. I liked to stick my toes in the water. I especially likes the many eps they had in the hotel in which we were staying. But there were two things I definitely didn't like. The first is suntan lotion in my eyes. I actually like the process of having lotion slathered all over me. When Mommy and Daddy are putting on lotion, I'll hold out my arm so they'll put some on me too. While lotion is great on lots of parts of my body, it's not so good in my eyes. Worse yet, whenever I would try to rub the lotion out of my eyes using my arms, it would seem to make things worse and worse. Lotion, apparently, has a bad side as well as a good side.

The other thing I didn't like is the wind. After around noon, the tradewinds kick up. Under normal curcumstances, I dislike wind and try to turn away. In fact, I really don't like it when Mommy and Daddy ride with their car windows open. (I was especially glad Daddy turned down the option of getting a Mustang convertible when we were renting a card. Convertibles are truly evil.) Anyway, wind is even worse on the beach. While I like to feel the sand on my feet between my toes, I hate sand blowing in my face on a windy day.

During one of our days in Maui, we trekked to a resort town called Kapalua. According to the guidebook, Kapalua boasts the best beach in all of Maui. Part of what makes it the best is that it is protected from the wind by promontories on both sides. It was a real hike to get there. Daddy and Mommy had to walk about a mile from the car to the beach. Luckily, I got to ride for this distance. When we arrived and set up camp, the wind was pretty strong and the waves were pretty large. Daddy seemed to like to go out in a part of the ocean he called the "pummel zone" and get knocked down by waves. I wanted no part of the pummel zone and did not much like Daddy being pummeled. I tried to encourage him to come back to shore by calling "Addy Addy Addy" to him and showing my distress. As the wind grew worse and worse, I decided that this was definitely not my idea of the best beach in Maui. After not too long, we all decided we'd had enough and hiked back to the car. Unfortunately, the hike back was all up a steep hill. Daddy told Mommy to meet him at a place somewhat closer to the beach while he pushed me the whole way back in my stroller. He was very sweaty and didn't seem to be in the best mood. We were all glad to get back in the car, out of the wind and the sand, and drive back to our resort.

No comments: