Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Speech Stylin'

I like to add a little bit of panache to my speech when asking for stuff I especially like. I find that one way to do this is to ask for things using my "street stylin'" argot. This mainly consists of omitting the last sounds from the words I'm using (sort of like the French) and running all the words together. For example, I wanted some angel food cake for dessert today. So I asked,

May I please have some ange'foo'cae'?


Notice how I added the please and the nice phrasing to the request while still "stylin'" with the money phrase. Unfortunately, Daddy had no clue what I was saying. Mommy understands my lingo but insisted that I ask in a way that all could understand. I offered them the correct phrase but was definitely perturbed that they didn't like my stylish approach.

I've also added a couple of other "cool" phrases that I picked up from Daddy to my argot including:

That's gotta hurt.


when my Hot Wheels cars or Little People crash or fall off things. Actually, Daddy tells me that he stole this phrase from Bob Costas who used it to describe violent sports collisions. I also like the one-word phrase "useless" to describe things that are of no interest to me. I also like to use the word "goofy" whenever possible. Mommy is less than enamored of these phrases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doody and Pop Pop could have added much to your vocabulary if they were still around!

Love,