Sunday, October 02, 2005

I Knew You Were Coming So I Baked a Cake

Daddy and I celebrated Mommy's almost 37th birthday (she'll be 37 tomorrow) by making her a cake and dinner. She asked for something called a black forest cake, so, on Saturday morning, Daddy and I went off on a mission to get the ingredients. Daddy seemed to think he would find "black forest cake" cake mix, but no such thing exists. Daddy was stuck, so he quickly found a cookbook display and tried to figure out what the heck is in black forest cake. He discovered a long list of ingredients, few of which we had. We came home with baking chocolate, cocoa, whipping cream, cherries, and several other items.

Amazingly, Daddy's "solution" was to bake a cake "from scratch". This was fine with me since it entailed many more "boy jobs" than the usual cake-making with mixes. We spent all day Saturday afternoon and evening making the cake. The longest part was making the whipped cream icing, which took an eternity. Daddy and I alternated in using the mixer as our arms got tired. We frosted the cake today and had it this evening. I love cake. It was a great birthday celebration for Mommy.

By the way, Daddy and I also threw together a dinner of grilled salmon marinaded in oregano and dill, baked potatoes with sour cream and chives (from the garden) as well as salad with fresh tomoatoes from our garden. Mommy was pretty impressed with how much her two boys care about her.

After dinner and cake, I helped Mommy to open up her birthday gifts. It was the best almost birthday ever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

That was certainly a feast that you and your Daddy put together! I'll bet your Mommy was very happy.

Love,

Anonymous said...

Aidan,

Wish your mommy happy birthday from Uncle Dave, Aunt Julie and Cousin Emma. Her gift will arrive soon if it isn't already there.

Your cousin Emma likes to bake too. She just helped her grandma make banana oatmeal muffins.

Unlce Dave