Sunday, September 11, 2005

Mining


Today I went to the Black Diamond mine. This was a coal and sand mine located in Antioch, CA during the 19th and first bit of the 20th century. I really liked seeing the railroad tracks leading into the mine. I also has a lot of fun climbing up and down a giant sandpile. Here are some pictures of my adventures. You will note several pictures of mountains. When Mommy asked me what the mountains reminded me of, I said they reminded me of the humps of camels. They are definitely "humpy", have the righ color scheme, and, with their tall, dry grasses, look sort of like the fur of a camel. At the end of the batch of pictures, you'll find a couple more engine shots from the Smithsonian, as well as a shot of a sunset walk I took with Daddy along Livorna Road. I've decided we live in a very pretty place in the shadow of "Mountain Diablo."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

I enjoyed talking to you on the telephone on Sunday!

I was very surprised, too, to hear about a coal mine in California. At least two of your great-great-grandfathers worked in the coal mines here in Pennsylvania many years ago.

In fact, when I was a little girl, my family lived across the street from a colliery for a year or so, and I would often see the miners coming home from work, many of them covered with coal dust.