Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Here's a New Orleans Tune

Since hearing about the flood in New Orleans, I've been quite interested in learning more about the place. One way I do this is to listen to lots of New Orleans music. Daddy has been singing me a couple of New Orleans songs I really like. They're especially good to sing along to or dance to. They are: "Iko Iko," which is a traditional Mardi Gras song, "Down at the Twist and Shout," which is a song about the zydeco group Beausoleil, and, of course, "Dixie." I asked Daddy what a "dixie" was and he told me it was a ten dollar bill in New Orleans. The "dixie" refers to "dix", the French word for ten.

Daddy has also exposed me to a Paul Simon song which refers to Clifton Chenier, the "King of the Bayou", but I don't like it very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest "The City of New Orleans," by Arlo Guthrie, which is actually about a train that was named for the city.

I remember it from mornings in 1974 when we were listening to popular music on the kitchen radio back in Reading.

Love,