Wednesday, March 02, 2005

House of Cards

One of my favorite pastimes is poker. To play poker, of course, you need chips. I like to get out the chips and distribute neatly stacked piles to each of the players: Daddy, Peaches the stuffed bunny, The Bears, and myself. Then it's time to play. I know two poker variations, a game called "which is biggest" and a game called "which is smallest". Somehow, I prefer which is smallest. It's almost time to deal, but first Daddy has to remove the 5s from the deck and give these to me. "5" is my number and I like to have them all. Next, it's time to deal. Each person gets one card turned face up. Daddy then asks me,

Which is smallest?


Usually, I offer a random guess which we must then verify by counting backwards. Daddy starts at 10 and we count backwards together. Each time we hit a number where someone has a card of that number on the table, we turn it face down. When there's only one card left face-up, we know who the winner is. The losers then have to pay the winner one chip each.

We continue like this for a few rounds and then it's time for a building break. During this phase of the poker game, Daddy and I build a house of cards. Daddy sets up the basic structure and then I add to it. Daddy says I'm really good at adding on cards in building the house. After a little while a "breeze" kicks up. The breeze is really me blowing on the cards. It doesn't take much of a breeze---a zephyr really---for the house of cards to fall down and force us to rebuild.

Poker is fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

Your Auntie Max once had a teacher who wore her hair like the Jack of Clubs.

Love,