Tuesday, March 15, 2005

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This weekend, Daddy and I planted a bunch of vegetables in our garden. We went out in the morning to the garden store and I picked out the plants that I wanted. First on the list was of course, tomatoes. We put these in big pots on the side of the house along with a bunch of special potting mixture. I liked putting the potting mixture into the pots. Next, we bought a pepper plant. Naturally, the plant had to produce peppers in my favorite color, yellow, so we picked one that did this. We planted the pepper plant in a pot as well. We also planted a basil plant. I like the fact the Licorice (who has gone to heaven) liked basil a lot.

Over the course of the winter, we improved a section of mostly dirt near the front of the house. Daddy said it's much easier to turn the soil over during rainy season than during the summer, when the ground gets quite hard. In doing this, Daddy would shovel out large hunks of soil, and then I would use a smaller weeder type thing to break up the dirt clods and smooth things down. At last, we were ready to plant in this new garden space. I picked out pea plants, broccoli, spinach, and chives to plant there. I espeically liked that the pea plants have tendrils to climb up a lattice that Daddy had set up. The bad news for the pea plants is that, a mere one day after planting, snails had eaten two out of the six plants. This got Daddy very busy in applying anti-snail stuff around the edge of the garden.

I like gardening lots and lots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

Planting a garden is part of your Old Country heritage.

My garden will have mostly flowers and herbs -- chives, parsley, dill, and maybe a few others.

I do like the idea of tomato plants in pots, so your Daddy will have to give me the particulars.

Your Auntie Max is planning her garden too.

Snails are awful creatures. I once tried to get rid of them with the beer-in-a-saucer technique, but it didn't do the job, so I got something from the garden store.

Have fun watching things grow!

Love,