Tuesday, January 13, 2004

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

Last night, Addy put me to bed. This is, of course, not my preferred option. Whenever I hear that we're going to bed, I race over to Mommy and, if she's sitting down, I tug at her leg and say "off, off." Mommy wouldn't do the whole bedtime thing last night. Eventually, I went into the bedroom and Addy read me a story---one of my favorites---"Ten in the Bed". My initial reaction was to lie in the doorway as far from him as possible while still being in the room and cry. The story, however, is so compelling (three stuffed animals have been pushed off the bed...what could possibly happen next?) that I quieted and eventually listened for a while. But not for that long. During the "slow" parts, I would run out in the living room to check if Mommy was around. Addy eventually grew tired of this and put me in my crib, which was not what I wanted. I complained for a while.

Eventually, Addy came back in and I realized that story reading with him was not so bad after all. We read several stories together and Piggy sang the A-B-C song to wish me good night. At that point, I wasn't sure I wanted to go to sleep, so I turned the light of the room on. (I can reach the switch from my crib.) Addy turned it back off. So I turned it back on. That was enough for him. I got to go to sleep with the light on.

No comments: