Friday, January 02, 2004

A Day on the Links

As you know, ballf is a big part of my day-to-day routine. One of the best parts is the ritual associated with getting all the equipment together for a day of golf. Yesterday morning, I had it in mind to play. I quickly found the box of golf balls and placed this in the middle of the living room. Next, I knew we needed golf clubs. Since Addy was sitting on the couch, I immediately ordered him "off, off" and scurried to the closet where the clubs are kept. We picked out the putter---our usual club---but this was clearly not enough clubs for the task. "Two, two", I said. Addy pulled out a 7 iron as well. Two is, of course, the right number of clubs (one for each hand). I dragged both clubs back to the living room. Next, we needed a hole to hit the balls into. I ran into the bedroom where the putting surface lives under the bed. I got it all by myself and carried it into the living room. I carefully set it down and then unrolled the 9' felt green so that we had a proper putting surface. But, you cannot play golf without tees as well. "Tees, tees!" I said. Daddy produced a couple of indoor tees to place the balls on. These tees are not as much fun as the pointy outdoor tees, but they do work better on carpeted surfaces.

Finally, it was time to get to work. I hit a couple of balls then handed the putter to Addy to hit with. I placed a ball in front of his putter and then went to the hole to watch the results. When he would hit the ball in the hole, I would say "Yes" and "bye bye" to the ball. Sometimes, however, Addy would miss. In that case, I would shake my head at him and say "nooooo". Addy says that this new form of feedback from me increases the pressure on him to putt successfully. Still, Addy did make most of the putts, so there weren't too many "nooos" from me.

I love ballf!

No comments: