Saturday, June 04, 2005

Aidan the soldier

For two days in a row, I told my mommy that after I was a boy, I was going to be a soldier. This really got mommy wondering since she does not promote soldiering for her son. I was very matter-of-fact about this each time, and today we talked more about it. Mommy asked me where I heard the word "soldier" and asked me to tell her what a soldier is. I replied something to the effect, "After I'm a boy, I will be a soldier and then I will be a man." Now, while this may sound exactly like something a recruiter would say, Mommy quickly deduced the word I actually meant from our past (non-military related)conversations about growing up. I meant "teenager"! I must have heard something about soldiers on TV an gotten mixed up! We have often spoken about how I used to be a baby but now I am a boy and someday I will be a very big boy called a teenager before I am a grown-up man. Mommy told me that soldiers do very dangerous work and fight to protect our country. They can get hurt very badly and some of them die. I think that I'll go back to my original career choice-- dancer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting about how words can get confusing for a little child.

My Uncle Joey was a Marine during World War II and served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. Somehow, that became associated with "pilot", which sounded to me like "pirate", which is what I told everyone that uncle was.

Also, having been taken to see the movie, "The Bells of St. Mary's", in which Ingrid Bergman was a nun, I decided that I wanted to be a nun when I grew up, but my parents reminded me that Presbyterians do not become nuns!

Anonymous said...

I suppose I can see the homonymic similarity between soldier and teenager. Frankly, given the choice between some of the teenagers I knew and being a soldier, I'll take soldier any day.

A dancer??? What about being a mathematician? You'll get to make up and down graphs to your heart's content.