Sunday, June 12, 2005

Actually...

I've been sprinkling lots of new and interesting phrases into my conversations. One of my favorites is "Actually..." Actually is a great start to any sentence, but is especially good in trying to move the conversation toward an outcome that I view as better for me. For example:

Mommy: Would you like milk or water with dinner.

Aidan: Actually, I'd like juice.

Mommy: But you've already had enough juice today.

Aidan: Actually, I haven't had that much juice, and I'm thirsty for juice and not milk or water.

You get the idea. Actually, I didn't get any juice as a result of these negotiations but it was worth a shot.

Another good lead-in is "in the meantime" or "in the meanwhile". For example:

Daddy: Do you want French toast for breakfast?

Aidan: Yes! In the meantime, I'd actually like to have a little cereal while the French toast is cooking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always surprising to hear something like that from a three-year-old!

Today I said to Emma, "What a good girl you are!" after she had picked up some toys.

She replied, "Yes, I are."

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

You should know that you're very popular with Emma. She actually requested to see a video of you that was taken around Halloween time last year.

When I asked her to choose what she wanted to see, she picked up your picture to show me and said, "This guy! Ai'an!" And she did watch it intently.

I'll be seeing you all in about two weeks!

Love,