Monday, April 18, 2005

Easter with Grammy

Click here for pictures from Easter weekend and then read on!

On the Saturday before Easter, I went to the Eggstravaganza at Oak Hill Park in Danville. This was a much better Easter egg hunt than the one I attended last year in Lafayette since they divided the hunt up into age groups. This was much more fun since older children were not knocking me over to get eggs, and I collected lots of eggs (more than my official allotment of 6, actually) with little prizes inside (like rings, stickers, and a pirate eye patch). Mommy walked around and made sure that the other kids also had a good number of eggs, and we “hid” 2 of mine for another boy, before going off to enjoy my stash. The Eggstravaganza also included balloons, and I got a yellow one, but it had a very slippery, iridescent ribbon that untied as soon as we tied it on my wrist and it flew away. This made me very sad, but happily I we were able to get another one with a more obedient ribbon. There were also fun crafts to make, and a big, white Easter bunny walked around meeting children. I did want to see the bunny, but I did not want to touch him, so mommy took my picture with me at a comfortable distance away from him. (Interestingly, the Easter bunnies at the local malls here were both brown bunnies, much like Peter Rabbit. Mommy tells me that the East Coast malls seem to favor white bunnies. I like them all—from a distance!)

The best part of the Eggstravaganza was that Grammy arrived from the airport in time to see the eggs I’d collected and to play with me at the park! Hooray! Then she stayed with us for a week. She gave me a big, yellow dancing Boobah toy for Easter. (Boobahs are somewhat egg-shaped furry creatures seen on PBS.) In addition to my basket from the Easter Bunny, I also found a soft, furry, talking Easter bunny basket from Nainnie on Easter morning, which I used to collect my backyard Easter eggs. (Thanks, Nainnie! Thanks for the candy too!) Grammy and I repeated Easter egg hunts together all week inside the house. I find that shoes make an excellent place for hiding plastic eggs!

Other fun things we did during Grammy’s visit were going to the park and visiting the Oakland Zoo. At the zoo, I rode lots of the kiddie rides outside the gates. It was really, really crowded that day even though it was a weekday, requiring a major hike from the car (parked on the entrance hill rather than the parking lot!) Even so, I had fun and I decided to ride the airplane ride for the first time. I rode several times, making sure to ride when I could have a plane to myself since I am not yet ready to pull the bar to take the plane up higher and I did not want my co-pilot to do this either! I do like going around and round though!

Grammy, Mommy and I also took the BART train and a cable car to San Francisco’s Pier 39 one day. We did the BART since I am always begging to ride it, and the cable car since neither I nor Grammy had ridden one before. I loved the BART, but I did not care for the wind on the cable car. I did enjoy looking at the boats and the sea lions and the double-decker carousel though. It was a clear, beautiful day. We also rode the “F,” and electric train/bus back to a different BART station.

I was sad to see Grammy go home, and have asked Mommy numerous times if she misses her mommy. I am planning her next trip in my mind as well as a trip on the plane for me. Mommy and Daddy think that it will be a while before my imagined trips actually occur, however. (Daddy returned home on the day that Grammy went back to PA. He had been at a conference in Princeton. At least it was a day of returns as well as leave-taking.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SUPER PICTURES!!!! I have one in a frame from the Easter card you sent me. I really like your yellow boots too. LOVE, Auntie Max P.S. Are you playing with your trains lately?

ATM said...

Of course I play with my trains, especially Thomas, my favorite engine! (Note my shirt during the Danville egg hunt!) I am very excited to say that I will be taking a ride on a train pulled by a life-size Thomas himself on July 30th in Fenton, CA!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

Some fine-looking pictures of you,
your Mommy and Daddy,and your Grammy! Thanks for sharing them!

It sounds like you all had a very nice week.

Danville is a very pretty place.That's where we saw the Fourth of July parade last year. That was good that all the children had a chance to find the eggs.

Interesting Easter Bunny! I think I know how you feel. I had "issues" with the Planter's Peanut Man who used to walk around Public Square when I was a little girl.

Hope to see you soon!

Love,