Thursday, April 21, 2005

Cubist

Last night, Daddy and I made cubes of various sizes out of my blocks. I really like cubes in general and big cubes most of all. We starte out by making a 2 x 2 x 2 cube, which I correctly pointed out consisted of 8 blocks. Next, we made a 3 x 3 x 3 cube. While I knew there were nine blocks in each layer, the total number of blocks was elusive (and not terribly interesting to me either). Finally, we made a BIG cube: 4 x 4 x 4. Daddy says that it takes 64 blocks to make a cube this big. It is a lot of work, but well worth it to make a really nice, big cube.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,

I enjoyed your comments about cubes. The ones you wrote about are the genuine article but there are variations on the word. Here in the office where I work we each sit in something called a cubicle which we affectionately call a cube for short.

Additionally (your mom & dad can verify this) we have in our area a small country school called the Luzerne County Community College. That name is somewhat difficult for some from the area to say so it is often shortened to LCCC. Some students with above average math skills noticed the three C's lined up and felt that if it were an equation, it would mean that C was being multiplied by itself three times or 'cubed'. Thus the the school came to be nicknamed "The Cube", or, after being victimized by the classic local dialect: "Da Cube"..

Your Pennsylvania Pal
Hugh

Anonymous said...

Also called "Le Cube." It's students are therefore "Cubists."