Friday, October 08, 2004

Half Way to Santa Cruz

This morning, Mommy, Daddy and I set off for Santa Cruz. Daddy was scheduled to give talks at UCSC, and Mommy and I were to visit our friends Clara and Cheryl, who are moving to Connecticut in 2 weeks so Clara's daddy can start a new job. We were also supposed to stay overnight at a hotel due to the generosity of UCSC.

All went as planned until we reached the Mission Blvd/UC Extension Exit, where you switch from 680 to 880. Without warning, my breakfast of oatmeal "spit up from my tummy." This was upsetting since in addition to being an unwelcome surprise, it also made my clothing and carseat wet and awful. We pulled over so Mommy could clean me up, and then reversed course. Mommy and I stayed home while Daddy drove to Santa Cruz himself to fulfill his obligations.

At home, Mommy indulged most of my whims since I was sick, so I got to watch videos, draw with chalk, paint at my easel, use markers, etc. I also had some nifty soup featuring noodles shaped like fishies. By evening, I even had some lasagne and asked for oatmeal again. Happily, no other meals came up out of my tummy today.

BTW, I did drop some hints that something was not quite right with me in advance. I told Mommy several times yesterday evening that I was "feeling a little nervous." When asked what I was nervous about, I replied, "um, the flowers?" I also whined in my sleep around 5AM, and mentioned that I was "feeling a little nervous" this morning as well as in the car. When asked what was making me nervous in the car, I replied, "the bushes?" (intentional question mark). Now Mommy and Daddy know what I was really nervous about-- my upset tummy. I wasn't sure how to tell them. (Mommy had accepted my plantlife answers at face value since most previous conversations about being "nervous" dealt with my dislike of the moon in its "not round and round one" phases and "not like" of large indoor plants in surprising locations.

No comments: