Saturday, July 26, 2003

Hiking

Today my Daddy tok me on my first official hike. We went to the Las Trampas open space, which is not too far from our house, and walked for about an hour and a half along the banks of a dry creekbed. While Daddy worried that I would want to wander randomly all over the place, I was quite content to hold his hand and stride purposefully along the trail. Of course, we did have to stop from time to time to enjoy the exciting things along the trail. For instance, the trail is covered with many small rocks. Sometimes you just have to stop and examine these more carefully and then "clear" the trail a little bit by throuwing the rocks down into the ravine.

We also saw lots of animals too. We met up with a dog and a cat, both of whom were kind enough to let me pet them. We saw many squirrels, who did not get close enough to pet. We saw a number of small birds as well as an eagle which swooped low over our heads.

We met a few other hikers along the trail. I commented to Daddy that each of them was wearing shoes. He agreed that they were indeed wearing shoes. A couple of them seemed quite impressed at my hiking exploits. Of course, little did they know that I've been "training" for the last 1.5 months or so in the park across the street from my house. Daddy has been walking me further and further each time to prepare me for my first hike.

It was great. I want to go again...Now!

No comments: