Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Deconstructionism

I have my own style when it comes to reading books. While I really like books, the usual linear way that Mommy and Daddy want to look at them just doesn't suit my tastes. They like to start at the beginning of a book and read all the words until they come to the end. This doesn't suit me at all. I prefer a more nonlinear approach. I like to open a book to a random page, then point at all the objects on the page and ask Mommy or Daddy (or even better one of my stuffed animals) to name the object I'm pointing at. Sometimes I point at pictures, sometimes at letters in words. (I especially like "s," "e" and "o".) After completing this process, and it can take a while for each page since I like to return to some of the objects to make sure that they're still called the same thing when I point to them a second or third time, I turn to the "next" page, which may be anywhere else in the book.

Often, only one page is suffficient to get all the goodness out of a book. I close the book up after looking at this critical page. Finally, sometimes merely hearing the namesof the objects I point at in the book is not enough. In that case, I run off to get a physical version of the object (like a ball or a block) or else a physical object that reminds me of what I'm pointing at. This makes reading a much more physical and multimedia activity than the way Mommy and Daddy do it.

I think of their way of reading as being like playing classical music. My way is more like jazz.

No comments: