Monday, July 08, 2002

Yesterday was my baptism followed by a big party in my honor. Despite the fact that I had to sit still in church for an extended period, I was on my best behavior. I didn't even flinch when they put the little bit of water on my head. In fact, the baptismal font sure did look like it would be fun to splash about in. I was equally sweet in letting the minister show me around to everyone in the congregation---this despite the fact that twice during the ceremony she screwed my name up and called me Adrian (grrr).

Following the service, we all rushed home to make final preparations for the big party. I supervised. We had two big tents and lots of tables and chairs. The caterer people came in with a whole bunch of food, but none of it was stuff that I could eat. For example, not one of the trays contained formula! Everyone seemed to have a good time and I got to meet lots of new people. They seemed to enjoy passing me around from person to person so that I was constantly enthralled by being held different people. I also got a whole bunch of loot including a couple of checks made out to me! While I was delighted at this, my Mommy and Daddy have to ponder how to cash these in that I can't really sign (or spell or say) my name.

The big highlight of the day came near the end. My Nain and one of my cousin's on my Mommy's side (there are so many of them!) were leaning over my play area to say goodbye to me. They both swore that in response to their goodbyes, I said goodbye right back to them. That would be my first word then---bye. Actually, my Mommy tells me that if, in fact, my "bye" counts as a word, then it's my second word. She herself has observed me say "hi" in response to being said hi to on some previous occasions.

No comments: