Monday, February 28, 2011

Odyssey


This past Saturday was Odyssey of the Mind. This was the first year we were competing for prizes, so I was all charged up. We had to make a Rube Goldberg device, so the team came up with a clever idea. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, wanted a new perfume sprayer, so Artemis and Hermes went down to Earth to find an inventor to make one for her. It was so successful that they decided to tell the world about it. My job was to be the media guy. I created a video ad using my camera and tripod as well as a magazine ad for the product, the Perfumer3000. I even made up a website and 800 number. (Must be 18 years or older to order.)

The device itself consisted of a tennis ball rolled down a tube into a suspended crystal ball. The tennis ball would knock the crystal ball like a pendulum. It would then hit a water balloon, which would fall thereby lifting up some rubber tubing causing water to spray out. At least that was the theory. Unfortunately, we never got to run the device since we ran out of time in the presentation. That was a big disappointment. So we came away with no medals.

In good news, we had a party at our house afterward and got to eat a lovely chocolate cake.

1 comment:

Mum said...

Hi, Aidan,

Your Daddy told me about this presentation, and it does sound like a lot of fun. He told me that part of your performance was inspired by the late Billy Mays. I'm going to go to the links to see the whole thing. Odyssey of the Mind is a great thing! It encourages kids to be creative and to learn as well. Too bad there were no medals, but there was instead a great deal of fun, I would say!

Love,
Nainnie