Monday, December 03, 2007

Bunker Shots

Yesterday, Daddy and I played golf in the backyard, and I discovered that I had a remarkable talent--I can effortlessly hit bunker shots. Now you may wonder how I learned this since we don't have bunkers (sand traps) in our yard. Well, we put in a bunch of new powdery dirt in our garden area. It is about the same consistency as bunker sand. I decided that it would be fun to hit some balls out of this spot. Using my baseball grip on the golf club, I easily blasted my way out of the bunker. Daddy set the ball to have some tougher lies including something called a "plug lie" where the ball is half buried in the sand. Again, no problem for me. I hit textbook blast shots out from the bunker. (For those who don't know, a blast shot is one where you hit a little bit behind the ball and use the force of the sand in part to propel the ball out of the bunker.)

What is amazing is that no one ever taught me how to hit this shot. Daddy has always been more concerned with my hitting normal shots than tough bunker shots. It just seems like something that comes naturally to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys don't develop a "bunker mentality." (Ho ho ho!)
Couldn't resist that one!

Anyway,it sounds like you and your Daddy are having fun!

Love,

Nainnie
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bunker+mentality