Sunday, July 02, 2006

Aidanninho!

This weekend was a great weekend for soccer. For one thing, we saw two world cup matched in TV. In the first, Portugal defeated England on penalty kicks while in the second Brazil lost to France 1-0. Back to the first match---my loyalties were very torn in this match. England, being the home of Thomas the Tank Engine and Kipper the Dog, holds a special place in my heart, but their boring white uniforms held no aesthetic appeal. Portugal, smartly dressed in crimson, offered sartorial splendor, but nothing else in terms of literary achievements. I rooted for both teams, but by then end sartorial splendor won out. I was rooting for Portugal on the penalties as Daddy writhed on the floor with the never-ending futility of rooting for England. Meanwhile, in the second match, Daddy and I both rooted for Brazil. He because of some dislike of France, me because Brazil wears yellow uniforms with green letters and numbers---what could be better. Sadly, Brazil was not up to the challenge and lost.

After that, we played a bunch of soccer games outside over the weekend. I invented a game called soccer tag. The "it" person has to kick the ball to strike the non-"it" person. Of course, no hands are allowed in soccer tag. We also replayed the Brazil-France match a zillion times. I was Brazil's yougest star striker---Aidanninho---while Daddy played for France. Usually, he was Zidane, but at times he was Henry and Ribery. Unlike in the real World Cup, Brazil won decisively in our pretend games. Aindanninho set many world records in terms of goals scored.

Gooooooaalllllll!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

While I'm not a big fan of soccer (except for children), I'm glad to hear that you and your Daddy had great fun being soccer players from France and Brazil.

It reminded me of years ago, when your Daddy was "Tim McCarver" and I was "Steve (Lefty) Carlton" tossing balls back and forth on Vine Street. Ask your Daddy if he remembers, not the pitcher's mound, but the pitcher's hollow.

Love,