Friday, July 28, 2006

A Game I Invented


As you know, I love card games. Recently, Mommy got me a Thomas the Tank Engine Sodor Celebration card game, which I've now played about a gazillion times. In this game, there are five different colors of cards. Each player is dealt four cards face up and is tasked with acquiring one engine card, one letter card, one ticker card, and one present card all of the same color. The first to do this wins the game. Acquiring cards uses the same rules as rummy.

Anyway, after many plays of the traditional game, I invented a rather interesting version of the game myself. In my version, each player receives three cards, face down. Then one card is turned up as the trump suit. The eldest hand leads a card and others have to match the color of the card led or play trump. The hand is won by the highest card of the correct color played where the ranks of cards are determined by the size of the objects depicted on them. So an engine beats a present, which beats an envelope, which beats a ticket. After a hand is played, each player takes a new card from the deck so as to hold three cards at all times. The winner is the player taking the most tricks. There are some wild cards too.

Daddy was very impressed with the complexity of this game construction and enjoyed playing a couple of times.

No comments: