Monday, January 16, 2006

Old School Hot Wheels

I like the term "old school" and use it in a lot of different contexts. A new context was when we got out the Hot Wheels "G Force" track that Uncle Dave, Aunt Julie, and Cousin Emma got me for Christmas. We got out all the pieces for the track and were getting ready to play when I asked Daddy where the motor was to make the cars go. He told me that this was an "old school" design---we were going to let gravity power the cars. As I soon discovered, gravity is pretty powerful stuff. We set up our ramp, loop, and jump arrangement down the little staircase separating our living room form our foyer. (These are the only steps in the whole house, so I find them fascinating.) Then, we sent the cars on their ride. I'm getting the hang of developing rules for the various games we played. Here are the rules for Hot Wheels. Each car gets at most two tries to complete the course, otherwise it loses. If a car succeeds, it gets to keep going as we change the length of the jumps and so on. The big winner from today's event: the fire engine. In fact, in one version of the course, it managed to complete the loop, make the jump, knock over the finish flag, and then drive all the way into the "movie room." Hooray for the fire engine!

Speaking of old school, many of the "Daddy cars" did well too. The Daddy cars consist of lates 60s and early 70s muscle cars like a 68 Pontiac GTO. I love the GTO.

No comments: