Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Bocce Ball

This weekend, Daddy introduced me to a new sport---Bocce Ball. We play our version of the game in the living room using my indoor balls. First, Daddy throws the target ball (a small yellow ball) to the other side of the room. Then we take turns bowling balls toward the target ball. A big part of the challenge is that the balls are all of random sizes, shapes, and weights. It's not easy to aim, for example, the soft sort of oblong baseball that makes crashing noises every time it hits the ground. The person whose ball is closest to the target gets one point and the match ends with the first person reaching five points.

I tried to teach Mommy the rules of Bocce Ball, but couldn't remember all of them. In the version I taught Mommy, we lined up all of the balls, then I had her roll the yellow target ball, and then I asked her to use my BIG yellow ball (only that ball was allowed)to doink the target ball over to the fireplace while I watched. This was a rather difficult task for her since the big bouncy ball tended to roll right OVER the target ball, hardly moving it. After lots of rolls, she finally succeeded. Game over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

Bocce ball is indeed fun! Your Daddy introduced it here at my house a few years ago. We have a lovely wooden set. We called the little yellow ball the "pelican" ( it has another, Italian, name, but we could never remember it).

But it's also a lot of fun to make up versions you can play in your house.

I have some of the pictures you made for me hanging in the kitchen on various doors. When I get a few minutes (!) I want to call Grammy and offer one to her, too.

I have been enjoying your blogs!

Love,

ATM said...

Hi, Nainnie,

I liked having you visit me. It is nice of you to think of giving Grammy one of my pictures! Grammy is coming to visit me on Sunday night and she too will get to see my artistic process!

Aidan

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aidan,

I did give Grammy one of your paintings today, but I missed her. She was due in to work at 1:00 PM, and I got there before lunch, so one of the nice women Grammy works with promised to give her the picture and my message.

Last night, your Auntie Max and our friend Rosanne went to a baseball game here. Our team, the Red Barons, beat the Ottawa Lynx, the Baltimore Orioles Triple A farm team. It was a good game, and I kept score, though not in the detail that your Daddy does. Our team won. 8 to 4.

Afterwards, there were fireworks, which were really very exciting to see, though Auntie Max covered her ears because she does not like the loud sounds they make.

Love,