Monday, July 26, 2004

Watch the Closing Doors

As you know, I really love trains. Lately, one of my favorite games is "watch the closing doors."
In this game, one of the trains carries passengers from Jersey City to NYC acting as one of the path trains. I will point to the spot where each of the stops is on the track. As the train arrives in this spot, Daddy will say (in a bad NY/NJ accent):

This is the World Trade Center train, World Trade Center. Journal Square station stop. Next stop Grove Street. Stand clear. Watch the closing doors. Ding ding.


Once we arrive at the World Trade Center stop, the train goes out service. Fortunately, it's quickly brought back into service as a Newark train. Apart from designating the stops and telling Daddy who is riding and getting off the train, I really like the patter of the conductor at each stop. Often, I'll speak in chorus with Daddy,

Watch the closing do-ahs!


Even better is that the New Jersey accent really plays to my strength, which is omitting the "r" sound. Daddy says "do-ahs" for doors, and I say "do-ahs" too. I'm also getting to know the stops. I now know that the last three stops for a Newark train are Journal Square, Harrison, and Newark.

A bit of background for Path afficionados: Daddy says the World Trade Center stop is still there even though the World Trade Center isn't. Here's a link with an amusing history of the Path trains. Here are two photo galleries of Path trains, a super-nice one and a more ordinary one.

No comments: