Friday, August 24, 2007

Let's go Phillies

I thought I would write to you about some of the highlights of our recent trip to DC. The first is about (what else) baseball. Daddy, Felix, and I attended a game where the Phillies took on the Washington Nationals. Part of the fun was getting there, we took a metro train and there were a zillion stops between our hotel and RFK Stadium. We went in and sat in the second tier of seats (sheltered by the vast overhang of the upper deck). It's a huge stadium---much larger than Oakland---so there were a fair number of empty seats. At first, I wasn't sure who to root for. Normally, I pick by color but both the Nats and the Phillies wear red and white. I decided to root for whoever took the lead first, which was the Phillies thanks to a 2 run HR from their catcher. At that point, I swung into action. I started a cheer:

Let's go Phillies! (Clap clap clap-clap-clap)
Let's go Phillies! (Clap clap clap-clap-clap)


Happily, other people in the stands took the cheer up and soon lots of people sitting near us were cheering for the Phillies. This made things lots of fun since everyone seemed to be rooting for the Phillies.

The Phils built a 4-0 lead into the 8th inning when Tom Gordon came to the mound. Unfortunately, he gave up two solo HRs and put a bunch of guys on. Things looked despareate for the Phils. In fact, I was so concerned that I asked Daddy and Felix to leave. But we stayed and the Phils escaped the 8th up 4-2. They closed it out in the 9th for the win.

It wasn't as fun as seeing the A's, but it was still a fun ballgame.

No comments: