Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Champagne Celebrations

This weekend, I saw the deciding fourth playoff game of the Yankees-Tigers series. Daddy has had several conversations with me instructing me never to root for the Yankees, so naturally, I was cheering hard for the Tigers that afternoon. When the Tigers finally managed to win, I got to witness a truly odd celebration. They taped cellophane all through the locker room and got out a bunch of champagne. While I recognized the champagne (it's the wine with the coolest type of cork), I didn't understand the need for cellophane. When Mommy and Daddy have wine, they don't cover the house in cellophane. Daddy explained that the wine was mostly not for drinking but rather for spraying on one another. Sure enough, the players ran and jumped into the locker room and proceeded with the sprayfest. Some of the players even wne back out to the stands and sprayed the people in the first couple of rows with champagne.

While I liked the idea of the players celebrating like this, I wasn't sure I would want to get squirted were I in the stands. First, I tried to gauge how far he spray might go. It seemed like it went in about four rows and not beyond. So if I were in the fifth row I'd be safe. But what if I had a REALLY good seat in the first couple of rows. Daddy explained that we could always move back in that circumstance before the players started squirting. I then thought that maybe if I wore a hat my hair wouldn't get wet from the champagne. I didn't mind the idea of my clothes getting wet, but definitely not my hair.

At the end, I decided that I'd really like to be in the stands for a champagne celebration. Especially one where the Oakland A's were celebrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? Root against the Yankees? They're fine young men!

Champagne spraying is an integral part of baseball. I believe it was Abner Doubleday himself who started the tradition. This is the first time I saw them go into the stands with it, though. I can only hope they are using the champagne equivalent of Two-Buck Chuck!

Love,