Wednesday, December 08, 2004

What does that mean?

In the past, I've kin of let some phrases that I don't understand go by without comment. I figured I'd figure it out eventually and not to worry. Lately, I've decided to be more proactive in figuring out what certain phrases mean. For instance, every night Mommy and Daddy say they love me very much. They don't really talk about love in many other contexts. Love doesn't seem to be a thing you run across when wandering about--like a tree, a truck, or a bus. It doesn't seem to be an action like running, jumping or hippity-hopping. So last night when Mommy told me she loved me I asked her:

What does that mean?


Mommy had to pause for a little bit to figure out a good answer. (I guess that meant it was a good question.) She told me that love meant the Aidan was a very special person to Mommy and Daddy and we liked him very, very much. ("Like" is a concept I understood a long time ago. Indeed, it's negation is one of my favorite phrases, as in "Aidan no like buttons.")It made me happy to know that Mommy and Daddy loved me.

No comments: