Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Hooray for Halloween

Last Friday, I went trick or treating for the second time in my life. When I went last year, dressed as a tiger, it was kind of a desultory effort. This year was more ambitious, we covered two full blocks of houses and I ended up with a bag full of sweets (none of which I want). This year, I was dressed as a lion. (Link to pictures coming soon). Initially, I was a bit hesitant about the whole trick or treating ritual, but I soon warmed to the task. When the door of the house I was visiting would open, I would immediately point at whatever objects looked interesting and try to make my way inside. Surprisingly, even though the door was open, the people on the other side didn't always want me to come in and explore. Next, they would offer me some choices from a bowl of candy. I love the sensory experience of the bowl of candy more than the candy itself. I would let me hand linger in the bowl, feeling the smooth plastic covering the candy and listening as the plastic crinkled when my hand moved. Finally, Mommy and Daddy would urge me to choose something and we would put these items in my bag. Then it was time to say goodbye. I would take a few steps ways and then, in my demure way, wave bye-bye to the people inside the door. This tactic was very successful in eliciting the desired "Ah, he's so cute reaction" I was after.

Halloween is lots of fun!

No comments: