Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This Week in Baseball

Baseball season is in full swing. Last week, I had my first session for the Danville Cubbies, a tee-ball league that I'm now in. I whacked the ball off the tee several times and motored around the bases. I've now figured out that power and speed are crucial to be a successful hitter in tee ball. Daddy and I also played a version of tee ball in the backyard called "home run derby." In this version of the game, every hit is either an out or a home run depending on whether the ball manages to make it sufficiently far down the yard. It was a great contest. I made lots of home runs and the A's (my team) managed to come back to defeat the Sox (Daddy's team) with 3 home runs in the last of the ninth inning.

We're also playing baseball with a pitcher as well. Daddy tosses the ball underhand to me and I hit it and run the bases. I'm getting quite good at making consistent contact with this version of the game. I also like to pitch to Daddy. I toss the ball overhand for him to hit. We recently played this game in the park across from our house. The A's managed another victory, but Daddy, playing the role of Big Papi, hit a mammoth shot into a tree. I told him not to hit the ball so far.

I'm also learning how to catch the ball, but this is a bit of a struggle. I can catch maybe 1 out of every five balls thrown to me. The key, I learned is to cover the ball once it hits the mitt with my throwing hand so the ball doesn't pop out. This seems to help a lot.

I love baseball. It's my favorite sport. (Yes, I love it more than golf too.)

No comments: