Monday, September 15, 2008

Football-A Tool for Learning

Sunday afternoon. It's football season and there were lots of good games on. It's interesting how many different things are going on during the game. Since we got Madden for the Wii, I'm starting to make sense of more of what is going on. I spotted wide receivers running curls routes. I spotted a halfback blast. I spotted a defense in cover 2.

To get a better sense of what was happening on the field and to slow things down, we got out the vibrating football players and set up various formations and plays. I can now tell you the difference between the strong and weak side of the line. I can tell when the quarterback is in shotgun versus lined up under center. I know what a blitz is.

There's a fair bit of reading in Madden. When I first started out, I found a couple of plays that worked and just stuck with them. Lately, though, I've been expanding my playbook and learning all sorts of new words--blast, pitch, toss, counter, streaks, slants, and so on. While reading is not all that interesting in general, I can see how it is useful for beating Daddy at Madden. One last thing I learned--the Raiders are a truly horrible team. I beat them with my Steelers by a score of 55-0 on Saturday.

No comments: